Saturday, May 14, 2011

To A Very Special Person

Dear Matt,

I want to take this time to say thank you so much, for all you do, and for all you've put up with. The past almost-8-months, we've come a long way in our relationship, even considering the fact that I've known you for more than 5 years now. (6? I don't know, it could be 8 for all I know). I am so thankful for someone like you, and even though I have a hard time saying it aloud in words sometimes, I am really so lucky to have you in my life. I have to admit, it's been weird not having you around all the time, and as much as I hate to admit it, you are the glue that makes my life stick together sometimes. I see how much you brighten the people around you, and what an amazing personality you are. You draw people in with your light, and with your kindness, and with your love for people. That's something I wish I had, and something I will always envy and treasure at the same time.

Sometimes, I fail to uplift you, and my words are blunt and sometimes hurtful. The best image I can think of is shards of glass--once something beautiful, but now something broken, and painful. I tend to push people away, and sometimes you get caught in the crossfire. But I've been realizing that even though I want to think that I have it all together, and that I'm independent and always pursuing my own goals and my own direction, you are always encouraging me, and always pushing me to strive for better. That's something I've never asked for, and yet, God has really blessed me with you. Your patience and easy-going attitude could drive me insane, but at the same time, they are just what I need for my crazy mess of emotions sometimes. Thank you for being the balance in my life.

Now onto the materialistic qualities:

YOU KNOW, I never realized how MUCH of an extrovert you are, until I saw how much people took notice of you at the club shoot the second day we filmed. Robin, Chloe, and Gabrielle all asked about you, and genuinely seemed to like hanging out with you. It's a characteristic friendliness that I can't imagine ever having myself, but it's so awesome to see that gift within you. You reach out to people so well. I was just really touched to see that in person.

I also wanted to say how awesome it is that I have a photographer as a boyfriend. As a designer, I love that you are so crazy about seeing the world through the film of the artistic lens. It comforts me to know that I have someone who can at least SOMEWHAT understand my dilemma of having a passion that is severely under-appreciated, and more often than not, severely underpaid. I find comfort in knowing that we walk similar paths in terms of pursuing the beauty that is in God's creation.

Thanks for putting up with my best friends--Esther and Char, you two are AMAZING...but I can only BEGIN to imagine the kind of fun you're having with him. I love that the three of you get along so well, and it puts my heart to rest knowing you're in good hands (each one of you). Thanks for making math and the Transitive property that much greater, and that much more fun.

I hope this love letter finds you safe in HK. As you deal with the trials that are inevitable on every family trip, I just want to say thank you ONE MORE TIME, and thank you for praying me so faithfully. I have yet to find someone who has so faithfully exhibited Christ to me so well (MAYBE with the exception of my parents). I am so grateful. And knowing how much you will appreciate this and treasure it because your Love Language is Words of Affirmation, I end this heartfelt note with a full heart, because I know that my words will not go unheard, and that you will take these words of encouragement with you as you travel.

I really am so proud of our relationship. This isn't arrogance. It stems from confidence in knowing that God is slowly changing me, and showing me how to take in this blessing, and learn how much more He loves me in spite of my sin.

STILL SO AMAZED!

Love,
Jo

1 comment: